Area archeologica | Archaeological area

Per ulteriori informazioni riguardo alle modalità, ai periodi e agli orari di apertura al pubblico dell’Area Archeologica, o per organizzare visite con gruppi personalizzate, consultare la sezione Servizi del sito.

For more detailed information about opening hours and timetables, and also for details about booking our guided tours, please check the Our Services section of this website.

Dal 1995, l’associazione “Il Fondaco per Feltre”, grazie ad una collaborazione con il Ministero dei Beni Culturali, gestisce l’area archeologica sottostante il sagrato del duomo dove sono conservate le testimonianze delle fasi più antiche della vita della città; oltre 1.000 anni di storia che lasceranno sorpreso qualsiasi visitatore!
L’area, che si estende su una superficie di circa 1000 mq., presenta un tratto di un quartiere urbano del centro romano di Feltria, che fu municipium, cioè città con un’amministrazione locale autonoma, propri magistrati e un territorio da gestire.
Della città romana, che si sviluppò in una zona già occupata da un insediamento più antico, sono visibili resti di edifici privati, con alcuni vani adibiti a botteghe e affacciati ad una strada lastricata, con uno slargo in salita che portava verso il colle, contrapposto ad una via secondaria verso sud.
La parte centrale conserva un tratto di una grande costruzione con pavimenti in marmo e in mosaico, identificabile forse con la sede (schola) di alcune importanti associazioni professionali del tempo.
Dopo la distruzione della città romana, nell’area si sviluppò un grande edificio, di cui resta un tratto che aveva un orientamento obliquo rispetto all’impianto precedente, ed estensione oltre il limite dello scavo; esso era forse connesso con la più antica sede episcopale della città.
Più tarda ( fine XI° – XII° secolo ) è la costruzione di un battistero a pianta circolare, di cui si conservano poco più che le fondazioni,con sette pilastri sull’anello interno, abside a ferro di cavallo ed ingresso ad est.


Our association, thanks to a collaboration with Italian Ministry of Culture, has operated since 1995 in the archeological area of Feltre, which is located under the Cathedral. In this place the visitors will have the opportunity to observe the most ancient remainings of the earliest stages of developement of the town, which date back to over 1000 years ago!


Settled on a surface of approximately 1000 square meters, the area consists of a portion of a typical neighbourhood in the Ancient Roman urban centre of Feltria. At the time, the town was a municipium, a urban centre with an independent local administration. The Roman town had developed on a pre-existing settlement, and presents the remainings of some private buildings, part of which was employed as shops and was placed directly on the side of the street, which crossed a secondary path and continued towards a hill. The central part of the site retains part of a large building, with a marble and mosaic floor, which was supposed to be the location (schola) of some important craftsmen associations of the time.


After the destruction of the Roman part of the city, the area was occupied by a large construction, which extends beyond the limits of the excavations. It was perhaps associated with the most ancient christian settlement in the town.


The most recent construction, which dates back between the end of XI and the beginning of XII century, is a Baptistery. Only its foundations can nowadays be observed. They consist of seven pillars in their innermost part, a horseshoe-like apse and an entry on the eastern side.

Annunci